Wednesday 11 March 2020

Professional Presence - Instagram


Instagram is a platform that I have had quite a love hate relationship with over the last 3 years. From having using it socially and professionally in first year to going completely abstinent from the site last summer in order to wrap my head around it and it's sometimes sinister tendencies. After a much needed break from the platform and a COP essay that dived into the effects of it on our society I felt much more aware of how to use it best for me. The only reason I am now on the platform is for work and I'm strict with myself by only following other practitioners which really helps inspire me and keep me up to date with the creative world. I've found such joy in it over the last few months and find it such an important tool for communicating with other creatives and helping to motivate me to continue making work. 

In order to curate a more professional presence on my profile I have started to present my work in a similar manner on each post. Using a dark background and allowing the pieces to stay true to their original dimensions rather than squeezing them into the general Instagram layouts. Ensuring that my page appears in this way is important to me as I believe it will show to anyone snooping that I am aware of presentation and curation of my work which is an important skill for any designer (...or illustrator!). I do however plan to start posting some rougher imagery alongside my finals as I want to give a well rounded view of my practice rather than falling into the social media trap of simple posting the best bits. 

I use this as my main online presence and have decided to not create a website just yet. I think further down the line I will create a website but at the current minute I still feel I am getting to grips with my practice and once I have some more commissions under my belt I will create a website to showcase these. Even at Hanbury the other day we where told multiple times by the panelists that all you need is a contact email and your Instagram account. That's fine by me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presentation & Notes

Notes:  My practice and how it has evolved (Creative ethos) -        After really enjoying printmaking and illustration-based p...